Dr. Md. Mazharul Islam
A research design is the arrangement of conditions for collection and analysis of data in a manner that aims to combine relevance to the research purpose with economy in procedure.
Properties or Characteristics of a Good Research Design
In the view of various definition of research design, the following characteristics are found.
1. A good research design is an ethical research design;
2. A good research design is one that is capable of obtaining the most reliable and valid data;
3. A good research design is one that is capable of measuring any odd events in any circumstances;
4. A good research design is one that helps an investigator avoid making mistaken conclusions;
5. A good research design is one that can adequately control the various threats of validity, both internal and external.
Need of Research Design
Research design is needed because it facilitates the smooth sailing of the various research operations, thereby making research as efficient as possible yielding maximal information with minimal expenditure of effort, time and money.
Research design stands for advance planning of the method too be adopted for collecting the relevant data and the techniques to be used in their analysis, keeping in view the objective of the research and the availability of staff, time and money.
Different Types of research design
There are two types of research design such as 1. Experimental Research Design and 2. Non-experimental Research Design
1. Non-experimental Design
A non-experimental study is one in which the researcher just describes and analyze researchable problems without any manipulation of the situation.
2. Experimental Design
Experimental research design is an elegant way to find out how well a particular program achieves its goals. In which, the researcher manipulates the situation and measures the outcome of his manipulation.